Friday, September 6, 2013

Gazpacho

Now is the time for Gazpacho. All the ingredients are at their peak and available at your local Green Market. The tomatoes, and I like, what I think of as a field tomato, are juicy and so flavourful from the long hot days of August, rather than the intense burn of July. The second crop of kirby cucumbers are coming in. All the peppers, green, red, hot are just hitting their stride for crisp, crunchy, taste and heat. Red onions have moved from the semi sweet delight of red scallion in the Spring, to the peppery sweet delight of Fall. Local garlic is ready too. I have tried making it with local cider vinegar but confess I prefer red wine vinegar. 4 Tomatoes 4 Kirby Cucumbers 1 Red Pepper I green Pepper 1 hot Pepper 1 red Onion 2 cloves of garlic 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 3/4 cup olive oil salt and pepper to taste Tomato juice. Chop each ingredient in a food processor. Add to large bowl. Mix together with seasonings, vinegar and oil. Now add tomato juice. I like my gazpacho to be thicker, some like it runnier. So make it to your taste. Chill. Eat with French toasts and a good pice of cheese...

No comments:

Post a Comment