Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tagliolini with garlic shrimp/Simple suppers

Jeanette, one of my first friends in New York - we met at Danceteria, which tells some of you how long ago this was, worked down at the original Tower Records on 4th Street. I would often catch the subway down and meet her for early dinner during her break. We would walk over towards Macdougall and 3rd street and go to a small Italian restaurant/cafe, that disappeared about 23 years ago. There we would have a bowl of home made linguine with a fresh tomato sauce, pesto, marinara. Simple, delicious, clean tasting food. This immediately took me back to when I was a child and we would drive down to Riccione on our holidays. A few years later friends and I discovered Pietro and Vanessa on Lafayette, very similar food, divine pasta’s, the best stuffed artichoke I ever had. I took all my English visitors there. My godson Sam, then aged 9, famously ate a huge bowl of seafood pasta, much to the delight of the owners! Last night Num was away, and my mind immediately turned to what sort of pasta I would have for dinner. A number of men I know; my dad, Num, Sam’s father David are not big pasta eaters. I would tell my mum about various pasta dishes I would make, that I knew she would enjoy. Her response was mostly the same umm delicious, but your father will never eat it. I now find myself in a similar position, a lesson learned! I was down near Zabar’s, saw some fresh pasta’s and bought a combination bag of spinach and egg Tagliolini. On the subway home I began to think of what I had to make with it, to turn it into dinner. I sauted in olive oil a couple of scallions (spring onions) with 3 sliced Shishito peppers. I peeled and chopped about 12 shrimp, I like them chopped into a manageable size for pasta, adding them to the pan with 3 chopped garlic cloves with a dozen or so cherry tomatoes, chopped thyme and marjoram and let them all saute together for a couple of minutes, then added a half cup of dry white wine and a tablespoon of sour cream. Served with a good grating of Parmesan. Perfect dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment