Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Rice Pilaf - Simple Suppers

Rice Pilaf - Simple Suppers Back in the Spring I started to make a dish that I loosely call Rice Pilaf. I suspect that it not a true Pilaf, but anyway... I added 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a cast iron or other heavy duty skillet/frying pan, heated the oil until just about to smoke and added a tablespoon of mustard seeds, when the seeds started to pop, I added either Scallions/Spring Onions, sauteing them until soft and added a handful of pine nuts, which I lightly browned, and then 2 chopped garlic gloves and a chopped hot pepper - both optional. At the moment, I am then adding a small to medium sized zucchini chopped into 1/4 inch pieces, 3 - 4 shishito pepper sliced and about half a red pepper also cut into 1/4 inch pieces, sauteing the mix together until starting to soften. In the Spring I was adding chopped baby carrots, new peas and or fava/broad beans. Stir in 4 or five cups of cooked rice. I like an Indian Basmati best. Serve with grilled fish or chicken; Kebabs and of course a lovely salad...

No comments:

Post a Comment