Monday, April 1, 2013

Strawberry and Raspberry Torte

While I was in Connecticut yesterday, having a lovely visit with Kay and Suzanne. Our first stop was in Fairfield at Isabel and Valentine’s Patisserie, to pick up a couple of Easter items. I was looking at their beautiful fruit tarts, and knew what I would make for Easter dessert. At some point while we were living in Berlin in the early - mid 60’s, mum started to make a fruit torte for special occasions. The base was not a sponge but a shortbread base that the Germans made. Sadly, I have no idea who gave mum the recipe, but I was always so grateful. Fruit Torte became my favorite dessert; Easter, birthdays, any time someone came for Sunday lunch, if I was asked what we should have for pudding, that was my request. When there were no berries, and that was 10 month’s of the year then. I know it’s often very hard in New York or any major city to remember or realize that fruit is seasonal. Mum would use a jar of sour cherries or canned sliced peaches, for me it never mattered what it was filled with, it was totally yummy. Served with a nice dollop of whipped cream. This morning I went and found mum’s old Kaiser torte pan in the basement. I have had it here since Mum passed 11 years ago. I cleaned and washed it. Mum rarely used a recipe, everything was feel and consistency. At some point in the my early 20’s I had watched her make the base and jotted it down. I think I even tried to make one back then, and had been unhappy with the way it turned out. Fortunately I got it right this time Torte Base 10 oz flour I teaspoon of baking soda 6oz cold butter 6 oz organic sugar Pulse together in food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 1 egg, pulse until combined. Spray the tin with cooking spray, add the shortbread mix to the tin, pressing it into the rim and making it reasonably flat - it will be the tart base when you turn it out. Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden about 20 - 25 minutes. Let the base cool for 10 minutes or so, then turn it out on to a cooling rack. I used strawberries and raspberries for the filling. I took 5 strawberries a handful of raspberries and mashed them with a spoon of sugar, which I spread evenly over the inner ring. I then layered the remaining strawberries and raspberries filling the tart shell. Melt a cup of redcurrant jelly and spoon over fruit allow to set. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment