Sunday, April 28, 2013

Asparagus Soup

Asparagus season is upon us. One of the harbingers that Spring bounty is on it’s way. I am starting to be sparked with all the cooking/eating possibilities. One of my early memories is coming home on a Sunday from a day out walking, swimming, visiting was a bowl of soup. In those days Campbell’s cream of asparagus or mushroom with a slice of bread. The first time I consciously was aware of mum making asparagus soup, we were on holiday on the Canal du Midi, renting a canal boat. We bought vegetables, duck, chicken, wine from the lock keepers as we went through the locks. For lunch one day we had Asparagus - the European white - with a little melted butter. Mum kept the woody parts and slow cooked it and made a soup, with the stock from the chicken from dinner the dinner before. Eating it at dusk, as the day cooled off and the water gently lapped at the hull. For some reason that is the day of the holiday that stuck in my mind. I have tried my hand at different times at making asparagus soup. They have always been good, creamy, flavorful, people loved them. But I didn’t always love them, I am not a very creamy soup person. I have adjusted, played with my idea’s, again good, but not quite right. I wanted to spark the flavors somehow. This has been my favorite so far A good pound of asparagus, after removing the tough bits. Remove the tip inch and put to one side. Wash asparagus thoroughly, grit sits in the tips. 2 Onions - chopped, sauteed in olive oil in a large pan. Add 2/3 thin sliced cloves of garlic 1/2 thai chili thinly sliced 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and quartered. Chicken stock to cover. Simmer slowly until all ingredients are cooked. Either use a wand stick, blender, or food processor to puree Add 1 1/2 cups milk 2 tablespoons of creme fraiche 2 good tablespoons of lemon juice Bring back to a simmer. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Split the asparagus tips, saute in mix of olive oil and butter. Until slightly crispy. Sprinkle on the asparagus soup as you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment