Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Alive" and kicking...

One of my favorite Harlem celebrities, may in fact be less known to many of you. Ms. Vy Higginson, she of Mama Foundation. I see her in many different spots here, but she is always surrounded by friends and admirers. People shout across the street, “Hey Vy”. Vy takes the time to listen and talk to all who approach her. I suspect that quietly, she has done more to change Harlem and yet keep it’s integrity. I have been to see “Alive” and kickin’ the new Vy Higginson/Mama Foundation musical, directed by Ken Wydro at the New Dempsey Theatre four times now. Each time it has improved, and every time it has made me laugh, cry and ultimately leave uplifted. I feel I should add that I am probably biased as Num Amun'Tehu, my partner, is part of the cast, But it is very good. I feel that if only the European tourists in my age group that come up to Harlem looking for ‘old Harlem” knew of this show, they would flock too it. I see the tourists walking around, looking, they want to hear the Soul, R & B, Gospel music that they associate with Harlem. Various places offer different aspects of this, but the “Real” feel is in the Dempsey Theatre with “Alive” and the other musicals that Vy produces. And yet, I feel, it goes unrecognized because people perceive it as being a “Black” production for a “Black” audience. Alive is a musical based around the performers stories of their lives and a song that helped the artists express how they felt. So most people in their 40’s and up will know the songs, and will happily sing along, as most of the audience does. The audience reacts in it’s own way too, one or other of the stories on stage reflects their own life experiences. You will leave the theatre having been through every emotion, and yet, you feel refreshed, re-energized and that you can face the world. http://www.mamafoundation.org/alive.html https://www.facebook.com/mamafoundationforthearts/photos/a.188525854523621.42505.188360107873529/622017767841092/?type=1&theater http://drastadub.com/gigs.html Do yourselves a favour and check “Alive” out. You will thank me!
www.drastadub.com

No comments:

Post a Comment