Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Golden Syrup Steamed pudding

Golden Syrup pudding This has always been one of my favorite puddings. My mum would make it occasionally when I went home. I confess I have undercooked it and thrown the bowls contents away, but seem to have finally worked it all out. I always feel that these steamed desserts are very old and go back to when we cooked over a fire, rather than an oven. Although I am sure we did not use golden syrup until sugar plantations happened! You will need a pudding basin for this. And a steamer, but I use a tall pan with an inch or so of water simmering in the bottom. I like to add the syrup to the bottom of the basin, and sit on the stove, warming while I make the cake part. 6 oz butter - 1 1/2 sticks 6 oz sugar - 3/4 cup - I like organic granulated 3 eggs - beaten grated lemon zest 6 oz flour, self raising or add a teaspoon of baking powder pinch of salt Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, then fold in the flour. You can add a little milk if the mix seems too dense - I don’t. Add grated lemon zest. mix well. Gently add the cake mixture to the basin on top of the golden syrup. Put a piece of parchment paper over the top, I use the butter wrapper. Take a clean napkin or tea towel, lay it over the top of the basil, tie it around the rim with string, then tie corners on the top. Place basin ins teamer or tall pan and let it gently simmer for an hour and a half. Apologies for final photo, we had eaten it, before I remembered I needed a photo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment