Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wild Mushroom Soup

Mushrooms, Mushroom,s Mushrooms! I do so love mushrooms, well no not all of them the Oysters always seemed slimy to me. I add Mushrooms to so many of my recipes and if not mushrooms then their flavor with the Italian Porcini stock cubes! I like a melange of mushrooms, Cremini, Portbella, Shiitake sauteed together with fresh Marjoram and a splash of sherry served over a slice of Num’s home-made Brioche, his grandmothers recipe, toasted. Soaking up the juices. For true comfort there is Mushroom soup. I never think my mushroom soup is as flavorful as my mothers used to be. But then she was making it from English Field mushrooms, freshly picked just hours before by Simon and Dad. The first batch of mushrooms would have been served with bacon and toast for breakfast, after the walk picking them. Perfect comfort as face another storm.
Wild Mushroom Soup 1 lb assorted mushrooms - button, cremini, portabella, shiitake 1 Quart home made chicken stock or store bought chicken stock 1 Shallot - I am using an american large shallot, so 2 regular shallots, chopped 1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped marjoram or 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram 4 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup flour salt and pepper 1 cup half and half or milk 1/2 cup sherry Olive Oil
Saute shallot in olive oil and then add chopped mushrooms and marjoram, gently cook. Melt butter, add flour salt and pepper, stir to make roux, then gradually add milk or half and half. Place mushrooms in food processor and pulse to chop finely. Add cooked mushroom mixture to roux mixture, simmer gently for about 15 - 20 minutes. Add sherry, cook for a further couple of minutes. Serve with chopped chives and creme fraiche.
Autumnal fungi in Ct.

No comments:

Post a Comment