Monday, October 29, 2012

Lunch in Connecticut

Last Friday I took a day off and drove up to Trumball Ct to see my first American family; Kay and Suzanne, Doug was at work. It was amazing to see the leaves change as I drove up the Merritt. Green in the City; red and Green around Mamaroneck; yellows and reds up to about Westport, then further north yellow and bare. Fall was definitely happening. As I pulled into the drive, the flock of Turkeys that Suzanne has been nurturing ran out of the woods. You can see their photo’s and particularly the three that thought I was bearing food and followed me around.
Kay had suggested we drive back to Fairfield for Lunch as The Brasserie had a wonderful Prix Fixe lunch menu. We had eaten at The Brasserie near the train station a few years back and it had been delicious. I was mildly dubious because I have eaten Lunch and Dinner out a number of times recently and been less than impressed and I was feeling rather irksome about the whole eating out experience. I love to eat out, try different things, be inspired etc. Bit it really quite pisses me off if I pay good money and have a bad meal. I know as a cook, that I went it to be at least as good as I might quickly ‘throw’ something together myself.
The Brasserie redeemed eating lunch out for me. A $15 Prix Fixe that was very tasty, just the right amount of food. I had been thinking about French Onion Soup, on the drive to the restaurant Kay mentioned how good it was, so I immediately knew I would have that. Main course, Bay scallops in a lobster sauce in puff pastry jumped out at me and dessert a slice of apple tart. The soup was just right; the Bay Scallops yummy served with rice and ratatouille, perfect. A slither of apple tart with caramel sauce and ice cream, divine. These were not huge platefuls as you get in so many places, but a delicious tasting. I would go back any time for this lunch menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment